0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: OS4 Bug? Help!

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/27                 Date: 05-May-01  @  04:20 PM   -   OS4 Bug? Help!

psylichon

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I need some verification here. For no apparent reason, I cannot enable the expression pedal on any part in any performance in my Nova. I've tried it with the Nova in isolation (i.e. no MIDI I/O), so it's not a MIDI loopback issue. The parameter still sends out MIDI data (as checked with my K2500) and the screen says expression pedal is on, but it ain't, and it switches back to "off" when I switch pages.

What's more disturbing, and what leads me to conclude it's a bug, is the fact that my old performances (saved with Sonar tracks) that DID have exp. pedal enabled on some parts come back to the Nova (via sysex) with them ALL OFF since I've upped to OS4. Tha's fucked up!

FUCK MY ASS MAN... i need that shit! I can't play the nova without the pedal tied to my filter cutoff... I just CAN'T FUCKING DO IT! HELP!!!!

psylichon

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/27                 Date: 05-May-01  @  08:03 PM   -   RE: OS4 Bug? Help!

Kinetik

Link?:  No link

Yup It's a bug I'm afraid.

Despite several weeks of thorough testing of OS4, this seems to be one that's slipped thru the net - Sorry !

Good news is that it's easily fixable and the fix will be included in a new OS - OS4.1 which will be available very soon. We'll probably wait a week or so before releasing 4.1 in case any other bugs come to light - that way we can fix them all in one go. OS4.1 needs to be finalised and released soon because brand new Nova Laptops are to leave the factory with OS4.1 pre-installed.

Note that OS 4.1 will not contain any further new features over 4.0, just bug fixes.

We've already been notified of another bug (Delay sync 16th dotted does not work) which will also be fixed. This bug however was NOT introduced in OS4, but has actually been present ever since OS3! (Which means that Nova Laptop owners have always had it!) It's just that it's taken this long for anyone to find it and report it. Not many people use 16th dotted delay sync I guess.

Please be assured that Novation has a policy of fixing any known bugs in future operating systems, so if you've found anything else, let us know! If you want it fixed in OS4.1, let us know quickly!

In the meantime, I hope you're all enjoying the new features in OS 4. Sorry the delay in release was so long. Hopefully, you will appreciate that we've pulled out all the stops in making OS4 as special a release as possible in recognition of how long some people have waited.

Message 3/27                 Date: 05-May-01  @  09:29 PM   -   RE: OS4 Bug? Help!

psylichon

Link?: Link

Thanks for the quick reply, Kinetic. After reloading OS3 resolved the problem and reinstalling OS4 brought it back, I figured it was a bug. Damned annoying, but I'm glad a quick fix is on the way. In the meantime, I'll just sequence in Program mode and run out my tracks as audio as a work-around.

Wish I had something that remapped MIDI controllers... Anyone know of any software that will filter/remap MIDI data before it hits an application (i.e. at the driver level)?

psylichon

btw - the new sound of the Nova is, in a word, AMAZING. That's why I'm sticking with the new OS despite the bug. The new filters sound completely different than the original ones (new algorithms, Novation?) and they have that edge I've always been trying to mold out of the Nova. And the new distortion? Fuck man, I sound like Hallucinogen now! Now I can make the Nova snort and breath like a real analog beast... you know that "breath" in front of a real heavy analog synth sound? It's there. There's just a whole new world of sonic territory that couldn't even be approached before. Thanks a lot, Novation!

Message 4/27                 Date: 05-May-01  @  10:27 PM   -   RE: OS4 Bug? Help!

AD-e

It could be me but i`ve noticed that when using an arp with notes to prog and midi , on playback with arp off the timing is out. It should`nt do this and as far as i can remember it never happened with os3. Maybe its something I`ve done, I`m not entirely sure.

As already said above...fantastic work novation, the whole sound of the nova is sooo much more in your face now. Love it  

AD-e

Message 5/27                 Date: 05-May-01  @  11:43 PM   -   RE: OS4 Bug? Help!

Kinetik

If anything, the Arpeggiator should be MORE tighter timing wise with OS4 than OS3.

The code governing the Arpeggiator timing was considerably overhauled and optimised to run quicker than ever before, particularly when several Arps are running in Performance Mode.

Has anyone noticed any similar percieved problems between OS3 & OS4 ?

Message 6/27                 Date: 05-May-01  @  11:55 PM   -   RE: OS4 Bug? Help!

Kinetik

Just another thought Ad-e :

Could be that you've got the Arp configured with the "quantize" parameter set to "Off". (I already assume that you're running off external MIDI clock)

Setting it to one of the "Mode 1 - Mode 4" settings should lock it absolutely in sync with your sequencer. I think you'll then find that it's rock solid.

Hope that helps.

Message 7/27                 Date: 06-May-01  @  12:48 AM   -   RE: OS4 Bug? Help!

AD-e

As it happens I did have quantize off.I havent tried it with quantise on yet but Ive no doubt that will solve the problem :-)

Thanks for the help

AD-e

Message 8/27                 Date: 06-May-01  @  06:35 PM   -   RE: OS4 Bug? Help!

PP

Very soon. Is that in another 12 to 18 months as the last time???

Message 9/27                 Date: 06-May-01  @  06:48 PM   -   RE: OS4 Bug? Help!

Kinetik

Let's try and resist the "clever" sarcasm...

Yes the OS was late. But almost everyone had in it much more than they'd hoped for.

If you'd have bothered to read my post properly, you'd have noticed that I've said that Novation wishes all brand new Nova Laptops to leave the factory with 4.1 pre-installed.

Do you really think Novation are going to wait "12 - 18" months before they start manufacturing Novas again ?

Message 10/27                 Date: 06-May-01  @  07:04 PM   -   RE: OS4 Bug? Help!

sitar

Link?:  Link

Funny, every time I tried one of the delay syncs I'd think, hmmm that's not right. I figured there was some logical reason for it, like an envelope was doing something to an lfo at the same time the faucet in the kitchen was dripping, so I never took the time to look into because I hate fixing that faucet. I couldn't tell you which delay sync it was but I guess it must be the dotted 16th. Not near my SN so I can't check. Does it not work or does it sound like a triplet? That's what I seem to remember.

My SN sounds really REALLY unbelievable now. Like Psychlicon sez. I put together a velocity driven TB bass yesterday that growls and talks like nobody's business. I think I used the Hpf Hpf filter. I could only turn up the distortion about 1/4-1/3 before it was tooooo much.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum