0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: OS4 Bug? Help!

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 05-May-01  @  04:20 PM   -   OS4 Bug? Help!

psylichon

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I need some verification here. For no apparent reason, I cannot enable the expression pedal on any part in any performance in my Nova. I've tried it with the Nova in isolation (i.e. no MIDI I/O), so it's not a MIDI loopback issue. The parameter still sends out MIDI data (as checked with my K2500) and the screen says expression pedal is on, but it ain't, and it switches back to "off" when I switch pages.

What's more disturbing, and what leads me to conclude it's a bug, is the fact that my old performances (saved with Sonar tracks) that DID have exp. pedal enabled on some parts come back to the Nova (via sysex) with them ALL OFF since I've upped to OS4. Tha's fucked up!

FUCK MY ASS MAN... i need that shit! I can't play the nova without the pedal tied to my filter cutoff... I just CAN'T FUCKING DO IT! HELP!!!!

psylichon

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/27                 Date: 08-May-01  @  11:50 AM   -   RE: OS4 Bug? Help!

omen_omen

Link?:  No link

Hi Kinetik,

My problem is sorted, i had somehow switched the local control to off.

Thanks Jamie.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/27                 Date: 08-May-01  @  02:39 PM   -   RE: OS4 Bug? Help!

Kinetik

Oquinlan : I can't reproduce your problem. Please post a more detailed step-by-step guide to recreating it if possible.

Fenriz : For this, we have to decide which option to take. we can either (a) Always make the master volume act as in "Normal" knob mode or (b)When knob mode is "Pickup", do not set the master volume to the current knob position on startup - instead set it to the value it was at when the Global parameters were last saved. I'd be interested to hear which people would prefer on this. I think Fenriz, you'd prefer option (a).

Lightyear : To prevent over-witing Part Programs with any changes you've made, you should always select "Each" at the prompt "Update Programs ?" when saving a Performance. You can then decide whether you want to over-write the original, save the changed Program to a different location, or even not save the Program at all.

Note that when you have "Update Programs ?" set to "each", you will only be prompted about saving a Program if it is different in any way to the original.

Message 23/27                 Date: 09-May-01  @  06:35 AM   -   RE: OS4 Bug? Help!

Fenriz

Kinetik

I would prefer option a, where the volume knob acts as a normal knob all the time. Since the volume level is not subject to change from program to program the knobs position should reflect the actual output level.

Neither does it feel natural to set a default volume in the global settings.

Message 24/27                 Date: 09-May-01  @  07:12 AM   -   RE: OS4 Bug? Help!

psylichon

Link?: Link

I agree.

I mean, why does the volume knob transmit/respond to MIDI anyway? How many people put a master fade on the whole S/Nova at the end of their sequence? I don't see any hands. Okay, how many more have accidentally changed programs on a module down the MIDI stream from the S/Nova when you change the volume? I see a couple hands now. I think it's more of a nuisance than a feature that it is a MIDI'd knob at all.

I say keep the knob in "absolute mode" (for you SSL fans) at all times... wherever it's set to when you power it up or turn it off or change programs or take a bath or whatever should be the volume the unit is at. And take if offline as far as MIDI is concerned. Anyone with me here?

psylichon

Message 25/27                 Date: 09-May-01  @  07:25 AM   -   RE: OS4 Bug? Help!

Kinetik

OK, looks like I'll recommend we go with option (a) then...

Message 26/27                 Date: 09-May-01  @  09:12 AM   -   RE: OS4 Bug? Help!

NeilC

Definately make it absolute.

Doesn't the option to turn off program changes in Global remove that problem Psylichon?

BTW - have Halleucingen produced anything on CD?

Message 27/27                 Date: 09-May-01  @  01:56 PM   -   RE: OS4 Bug? Help!

psylichon

Link?: Link

You're right, NeilC... I hadn't considered that new feature, and it would solve that program change thing, but I still don't think the volume knob should transmit or respond to MIDI regardless.

Hallucinogen's had a couple of CD's, though the only one I know the name of is "Twisted." I think they're all on Twisted Records. He goes by other names sometimes (real one: Simon Posford), like his downtempo ambient stuff goes under "Shpongle" and he collaborated with someone else (I think) under then name "Beast" and made the trance track that I still hold up as the template for my productions... Spawn....truly perfect. And that's about all I know about the guy, other than he does too many drugs ;}

psylichon

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum