0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Nova OS

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 19-Apr-01  @  09:59 AM   -   Nova OS

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Just had a reply from Novation saying that the new OS will b here either late tomorrow 19th April or early next week!!!!
Oh and by the way im not a whinging shit that blames my Nova O/S for not being able 2 write decent tracks!!!!! But i am looking forward to some nice new features enjoyed by Nova/Supernova II.........

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 21/46                 Date: 24-Apr-01  @  09:35 PM   -   RE: Nova OS

Oh yes bagpipes, NICE !!!!!!!
Why would anybody else buy a shit hot quality VA synth.......??????

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 22/46                 Date: 24-Apr-01  @  10:45 PM   -   RE: Nova OS

Sayer

Link?: Link

It's nice to finally get the full feature set of the upgrade! :-)

I am very interested in the new filter types, DCO to VCO emulation, Double Saw, extra voices, and effect boost.

In case you missed them:

Super soniced synth -
Novation’s Nova "laptop" synthesiser has undergone a complete renovation with the launch of its new operating system. OS4 for the Nova boosts polyphony from 12 to 16 voices and also introduces a wealth of new features, including Novation’s exclusive Double Sawtooth waveform, accessible via the Special button.

Double Saw -
With Double Sawtooth, the Oscillator generates two saw waves that can be independently detuned. If all Oscillators are set to Double Saw, then each voice effectively has six Oscillators, with no effect on total polyphony.
Unison sounds can be created without the need to use the Unison feature, again saving voices. And you can Unison a Double Saw Program, creating truly huge sounds. Unison even offers a preset detune feature.

More outputs -
OS4 also enables you to route a Program with stereo effects through a single mono channel. The Program can be assigned to a single output without compromising the quality of its effects configuration, while releasing more outputs for use even when creating complex multi-Program Performances.

Effects boost -
There is a punchy effects distortion feature, which incorporates a preset gain compensation facility, so that effects can be overdriven without an accompanying increase in volume. The new operating system also provides a pan option for effects.

More filters -
Alongside the standard analogue filters, there are nine additional Dual/Split filter types. These are accessed through the Special button in the Filter section and incorporate harder hyper-resonant filters and formant filters that enable the creation of sounds with speech-like qualities.

And still there’s more -
Analogue modelling quality is enhanced by the DCO to VCO emulation, with a preset amount of the drift that is characteristic of classic analogue synths.

OS4 also includes Knob pickup, which eliminates the risk of sudden surges in volume or extreme changes when adjusting settings in real time. After switching between Programs, the knobs and sliders can be moved without altering the settings until they have reached positions corresponding to the new setup.

New MIDI functions include the ability to disable Program change and Controller transmit options, as well as forward compatibility with Novation’s Supernova II series synths – OS4 can accommodate sysex dumps from the Supernova II. In addition, the Finder mode that helps to organise and locate sounds has been improved by the facility to turn the demo option off.

Message 23/46                 Date: 25-Apr-01  @  01:44 AM   -   RE: Nova OS

satori

OT.

Hi Sayer.

I'm very, very impressed with your work on mp3.com. Very nice work and ... well equipped studio. You need badly some nice tunes, vocals etc with your well designed sounds, loops, arps and rhytms.

You do need someone like.... me ;-P

Without nice tunes and vocals you may never make it big to the charts. The trick is to have a team people, not a single man and than everything is possible.

So far your music is just that, sounds, loops and rhytms. Great music needs much more than that.

I hope I didn’t offended you.

Peace…

Message 24/46                 Date: 25-Apr-01  @  10:01 AM   -   RE: Nova OS

k

hey sayer... whats the picture above the racks ?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 25/46                 Date: 25-Apr-01  @  04:20 PM   -   RE: Nova OS

roller8

I've always loved my Nova and have never bitched about it cuz I write tracks with it all night long, but one tiny thing I was hoping for in the OS upgrade was the ability to open up the audio inputs without having to send a midi note to the machine. Would be great for live use. If it's not there well that's ok too. They are obviously addressing the distortion fx which is good news to me. The Nova is a solid and easy as hell piece of kit to use. I love it. Wish I could afford the Supernova II keyboard though!  

Message 26/46                 Date: 25-Apr-01  @  05:13 PM   -   RE: Nova OS

Star Flyer 7

Link?:  No link

Well, I've read the new OS specs...if it doesn't kick ass, I'm traden'r for a virus.

btw, where is it? press release without product ;(

Message 27/46                 Date: 25-Apr-01  @  08:25 PM   -   RE: Nova OS

Sayer

Hey Satori -

I'm not offended at all. I have never had the opportunity to work with anyone musically. Everything I have done/learned has been the hard way, on my own. I would love to work with someone else. I wouldn't know how to write music to support vocals though, seuquences are my specialty. I'm sure it can be learned though. :-)

Hey k -

Are you talking about the picture in my current setup (white background with thin dark frame)? Or are you talking about the picture above the racks in my old studio (looks like lots of bare women's legs, no frame)?

Many people asked about the picture in the old studio and I finally had to post a closeup so that people would believe that it was not bare legs! :-)

The picture in the new studio is a print (etching?) from Heidelberg (spelling?) Germany. A friend worked there for many months and brought it back to me. It's very nice with leather matting on the back.

Sayer

Message 28/46                 Date: 26-Apr-01  @  08:45 AM   -   RE: Nova OS

Brett B

Satori, no offense to you because you are nice guy. I have made sounds for you(phunkytek). I would hardly call the music of cher great nor Celine Dion. Greatness is hardly measured by the revenues generated and awwards won. Music has a purpose and intent. music made for the dance floor is groove oriented and the success is measured in that atmosphere, and not through your windows media player. If you played your best song, and his best song in the middle of a Dj set which one would make people move? you unfortunatley don't understand the nature of underground nor the people that make it. Vocals and melodies just take away from the depth you can achieve with the pulse of textures and layers of sound. Cheesy melodies only make it easy for the listener to follow along. somtimes you want to just fuck with their ears. they are , for the most part, under the influence of stimulants and that kind of music powered by lights and amplification takes them away from the top 40 reality of the world you live in. great music is Sasha's Rabbit Weed,Plump Dj's, And Hybrid. They ahve complex melodis and grooves, and vocals at times..but always true to form. Trancy pop tunes are dead Satori, you missed the boat! "Do you believe in life after trance....."

Message 29/46                 Date: 26-Apr-01  @  01:28 PM   -   RE: Nova OS

satori

I agree to… disagree with you. Firstly… in music nothing is really right or really wrong. Everything is right, it just a matter of taste and way of using it.

Secondly, Cher’s ‘Believe’ radio version of course is a radio version, IMHO
“Almighty definitive mix” of Cher, ‘Believe’ is the best club mix I ever heard.
I’ve heard only one person who said: ‘That is old.” Fair enough. That recording
do create a shiver on my spine every time I do play it. I do love it regardless
other people opinion.

I’m not trying to make a club mixes. That Cher' mix is one of very few pieces I do really like. My ultimate goal is to make something like Pink Floyd or Enigma but based on newest sound and rhythm. I do feel that for such kind of music is a HUGE vacuum in whole music industry and I do feel that public will run for anything like that.
IMO there is no NEW CD in the western world, where you could put it into your CD player, make lights dim, pour some nice red wine, have a nice cigar or grass ;-) and nice girl (you just made love to her!) and now you want to relax and make journey into world of wonderful music for at least 30 minutes. That should be a spiritual feast with the music. So far I can’t find anything like that. Enya is boring for me, Pink Floyd has to old sound but still is great. Enigma: first album nice but to short and to repetitive.

My goal is to sneak into market delivering what majority wants and than fill up that great hole with some awesome music.

Every kind of music is needed. We do need dance, rock, metal, ambient etc.

I’m here on this forum because… the only forum I have found where people do talking about Supernova.

That’s it! Dance is not my cup of tee. SN is.

Regards Sayer, his music is rather not club type. I feel that together we could make something very nice.

Together we could be very dangerous! ;-)

Separately, maybe not.

Cheers…

Message 30/46                 Date: 26-Apr-01  @  11:16 PM   -   RE: Nova OS

Brett B

Then ask the guy Satori, don't tell him he needs you. You sounded like a prick!

As for 3745, i can program anysynth made. I have racks full of them. I am selling my nova because i need money to go on vacation after i graduate in two weeks and I am pissed at how much the nova has devalued in six months. I cranked out music from my nova from day one. I have been here in this forum helping people like you with silly little questions a fourth grader could answer if he opened the manual and actually reasd something .It was one of the easyest synths I have ever used. So you can jump to conclusions about the reason for the sale.If you can't hear the differance between a real analog and the diferanc between varying VA's then you are the one who can't program. The first part to knowing how to program is listening to the sound of sytnhs and then recreating them. I did this for Satori at one point in a mater of minutes. I have softsynths now that do what the Nova does, and for real analog, i have a bunch of stuff for that. So don't let me offend you because you think the Nova is the best thing around i should be happy i own one. i too was impressed with it, but i have reason, dream station and tassman. I need the cash!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 46 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum