0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Is This Guy Scammin' Me???

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10                 Date: 25-Jul-04  @  10:32 PM   -   Is This Guy Scammin' Me???

CydoniaCell

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hey Y'all... I'm not as savy on the ol' internet scam as I'd like to be.. And I know some of you do this more than I...

I recently posted my polymorph for sale in the classifieds, and a few weeks later this guy sends me an email saying he wants to buy it... he's in the UK I'm in the states.

after a couple of cursory emails he sends me this:

Thanks for your recent mail.The price is okay by me, and i am ready to purchase
it immediately,but concerning the shipping,like i told you that my international
shipping agent will take care of that.
So please if this is okay by you provide me with your contact address and phone
number where the payment will be sent to.So that i will contact my client
immediately that owes me $4,800, and i will instruct him to pay you on my behalf
ok,and as soon as the payment get to you i would like you to cash it immediately
and deduct your money,and send the remaining balance to my shipping agent so
that he can be able to pay and make an arrangement for the pick-up ok.And as
soon as you provide me with your contact address payment will be made out to you
immediately.Hope to see your urgent reply soonest.
My best regards to your family,

It sounds like those scams coming out of African Web Bars, so now I'm curious... plus, the guy hasn't really asked for much about the synth and is HAPPY to pay the asked for amount without discussion... it just feels off... now I don't want to be an asshole, and I'd like to sell the synth... anyone got any advices?

e

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/10                 Date: 25-Jul-04  @  10:37 PM   -   RE: Is This Guy Scammin' Me???

mcc>

stray far from this guy.

Message 3/10                 Date: 25-Jul-04  @  11:03 PM   -   RE: Is This Guy Scammin' Me???

SignalRunners - BLU

defo cut contact m8

there was a notice up on sos readers ads bout these people- might stil be there.

Message 4/10                 Date: 25-Jul-04  @  11:19 PM     Edit: 25-Jul-04  |  11:20 PM   -   RE: Is This Guy Scammin' Me???

beds

Link?:  Link

groove monkey told me about this and yeah there's a thread on the shite on shite website.

basically they send you a cheque, which initially clears ("i would like you to cash it immediately and deduct your money") but then 2 weeks later it turns out it's a fake and the bank holds you responsible.

it's down to the fact that banks are shit, the local branch cashes your check, but it doesn't really get verified until a while later .. they find out it's fake .. you get stung for fraud.

although you could string him along for a while like this or like this

Message 5/10                 Date: 25-Jul-04  @  11:38 PM   -   RE: Is This Guy Scammin' Me???

sitar

Definately cut ties with this guy. Cuz you want to sell something you tend to overlook the obvious and that's what people like these count on. First bell goes off when hes sayis somebody owes him $$$ and obviously that somebody won't pay him, but he'll pay you? Second bell goes when the guy is sending you too much money and trusting that you'll forward on the excess to his shipping agent.

Message 6/10                 Date: 26-Jul-04  @  07:56 AM   -   RE: Is This Guy Scammin' Me???

Influx

damn, man...youre smarter than that arent ya?

its a scam, and its a good 2 years old now.

honestly, e, Im a bit disappointed in ya;0

Message 7/10                 Date: 26-Jul-04  @  06:33 PM   -   RE: Is This Guy Scammin' Me???

CydoniaCell

Hahahaha... well, I should get points for recognizing it was a scam, even if I wasn't sure of the mechanics... and in my defense.. I REALLY need to sell this kit.

But I knew it was "fishy", as they say!

Thanks to everyone... it's all clearer now.

I replied to him with an "I'm an idiot, but I'm willing to work with you" message... I'm hoping to tell him that I don't have a bank account but I'd be happy to open one if he could wire me the $100 the bank requires, and that then I'd pay him back by subtracting it from the cost of the synth... I don't expect a positive response... but honestly, the mischievious side of my character can't leave this alone...

e

Message 8/10                 Date: 26-Jul-04  @  07:09 PM   -   RE: Is This Guy Scammin' Me???

mcc>

he's quite accustomed to such responses, i'm sure.

Message 9/10                 Date: 27-Jul-04  @  04:19 AM   -   RE: Is This Guy Scammin' Me???

Influx

cant remember the url but theres a whole site dedicated to scamming the scammers...

wasnt it here that someone posted a link?

Message 10/10                 Date: 27-Jul-04  @  04:35 AM     Edit: 27-Jul-04  |  04:37 AM   -   RE: Is This Guy Scammin' Me???

psylichon

"wasnt it here that someone posted a link?"

Hmmm... I think yer right... now when was that.... wheeeeen was that.........^^^^?

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum