0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: why is art

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/25                 Date: 02-Feb-05  @  09:18 AM     Edit: 02-Feb-05  |  09:19 AM   -   why is art

cheddar

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

my turn

So i am thinking about living in a villiage and walking around. Everyone I would meet I would probably know and so I would stop and chat, but if I move the model to the city then I could not go anywhere as I would be talking to many many people. The city dwellers should be surprised at how little people talk when 'people' are together randomly (on the bus, at the theatre, waiting in queues etc). Is art a talking to people.

So I live and know death will come, I cannot be in all places simultaneously. We feel but cannot tell everyone. Is art just talking before you arrive and after you have left?

I am stupid but the sum of my experience, I forget but even my 'original' comments come from my views and so from my experience. Is art a way to remind me and save me the effort to recreate prior logic?

If the opposites of emotions are connected then must we hate and love etc, so the art and our experience of it should traverse the range of emotions we associate with it. Is art just a snapsot of our experience with it?

Nice try tho Steve

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/25                 Date: 02-Feb-05  @  01:13 PM   -   RE: why is art

k

Link?:  Link

art.... is an illusion

lol - no wait.... errrrrrrr - it's one of those sunday times colour supplement discussions isn't it?  

this arguement has raged for centuries, Duchamp said anything the artist 'produced' was 'art' and exhibited his turds in jars didn't he? (after his 'urinal' exhibit caused something of a stir)

i dunno.... something either twigs with the viewer/listener or it doesnt, it's a personal thing surely regardless of the intentions of the artist/creator

innit?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/25                 Date: 02-Feb-05  @  02:02 PM   -   RE: why is art

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

Surely, by definition, art is simply something that one works on. Whether or not it is any good is the question.

Message 4/25                 Date: 02-Feb-05  @  02:10 PM   -   RE: why is art

milan

Human effort to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature.

The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium.
The study of these activities.
The product of these activities; human works of beauty considered as a group.
High quality of conception or execution, as found in works of beauty; aesthetic value.
A field or category of art, such as music, ballet, or literature.
A nonscientific branch of learning; one of the liberal arts.

A system of principles and methods employed in the performance of a set of activities: the art of building.
A trade or craft that applies such a system of principles and methods: the art of the lexicographer.

Skill that is attained by study, practice, or observation: the art of the baker; the blacksmith's art.
Skill arising from the exercise of intuitive faculties: “Self-criticism is an art not many are qualified to practice” (Joyce Carol Oates).

Message 5/25                 Date: 02-Feb-05  @  02:43 PM   -   RE: why is art

pict

Zappa said that once you placed a frame around it anything could be art .Drawing attention to a specific organization of events is creating a frame.Whether or not the consumer of the "art" has any meaningful reaction to it is another question.Without a frame there is no art.

Message 6/25                 Date: 02-Feb-05  @  02:52 PM     Edit: 02-Feb-05  |  02:53 PM   -   RE: why is art

Steve Roughley

"counteract the work of nature" Hehe. I like that one.

All I was trying to say is that the term 'art' comes from latin and it literally means a mans skills by which he can produce something, or something that requires skill. Perhaps we look too far into it.

So the frame is art from the frame maker.

Message 7/25                 Date: 03-Feb-05  @  01:00 AM   -   RE: why is art

k

Link?:  Link

it's funny how in music of all the 'arts', the format of our work is almost exclusively controlled by 'the dealers/galleries'

it'd be odd if painters were told to go away and deliver the final painting on a 180 X 240 cm canvas format

heh

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/25                 Date: 03-Feb-05  @  01:45 AM   -   RE: why is art

milan

how do you mean?

Message 9/25                 Date: 03-Feb-05  @  03:14 AM   -   RE: why is art

psylichon

Even beyond the physical format, the creative format seems to be under greater "financial scrutiny" in the music biz than in other arts. Could you imagine if painters had producers? Let alone executive producers...

Message 10/25                 Date: 03-Feb-05  @  06:12 AM   -   RE: why is art

psylichon

and as for the topic.... cheds man... give me some, damnit!!!

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 25 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum