0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: what did goldie actually do on ....

Viewing all 20 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/20                 Date: 08-Mar-04  @  02:11 PM   -   what did goldie actually do on ....

dub-munkey

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

ok so have returned to timeless which is a classic imo but with Playford behind the board what did goldie actually do on the album? i mean if playford did the compositions, programming, enginnering etc what did goldie actually do?

anyone know?

greg

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/20                 Date: 08-Mar-04  @  03:29 PM   -   RE: what did goldie actually do on ....

milan

Link?: Link

whoa... uncanny... i am just listening to some oldskool 93-4 type dnb.

no idea what he did tho, i never cared much for goldie's tunes to be honest *shrug*

Message 3/20                 Date: 08-Mar-04  @  03:32 PM   -   RE: what did goldie actually do on ....

dub-munkey

Goldies later stuff was horrible...sepsh that 30 min white noise song- self-indeulgent crap...

the timeless album takes me back and means something to me in that respect and there are still some elements which make me go 'how did he do that?'......

what you caning milan? reece and all that stuff?

greg

Message 4/20                 Date: 08-Mar-04  @  03:44 PM   -   RE: what did goldie actually do on ....

mcc>

imagine how bjork felt when she realized she didn't marry rob playford....but the other guy.

Message 5/20                 Date: 08-Mar-04  @  04:13 PM   -   RE: what did goldie actually do on ....

Stuff

haha good one mcc
i think Goldie sat in the studio, did some noises with his mouth, and asked Rob if he was able to create that. -"Yes i can do that" Playford said and off to work he went. I even wonder if Goldie actually was there.. Maybe he called Rob up in the studio everytime he had an idea in his head.

'Timeless' is a great album anyway. Compared to todays Dillinja productions, Timeless sounds like 22th century ;) Thanks to Playford's skills.

Message 6/20                 Date: 08-Mar-04  @  04:19 PM   -   RE: what did goldie actually do on ....

dub-munkey

agreed....some of the stuff is just sick...im well confused about Goldie now...why not just release it as 'playford'- weird thing the music business.....if goldie was hot on his own why need playford....if he needed playford why did playford need goldie...its not like goldie is a face or anything or even a superstar dj.....

greg

Message 7/20                 Date: 08-Mar-04  @  05:02 PM   -   RE: what did goldie actually do on ....

influx

Link?:  Link

having a producer is as old as music itself, practically, it would seem.

not sure about the specific role of g vs p, but...theres a lot of that in the breaks scene too

Message 8/20                 Date: 08-Mar-04  @  05:02 PM   -   RE: what did goldie actually do on ....

milan

"its not like goldie is a face or anything" christ, of course he was, at least back then! (but you britts tell me why cause i dont know). Metalheadz however, does have a ton of veritable classics from way back then, and they were probably all signed by goldie, so i guess thats maybe where the hype comes from.

"what you caning milan? reece and all that stuff?" hell yeah plus a lot of old good looking/ moving shadow/ creative source/ metalheadz stuff!

if anyone wants some wicked oldskool mixes check out www.hardscore.com, and their forum, you wont regret it.

Message 9/20                 Date: 08-Mar-04  @  06:11 PM   -   RE: what did goldie actually do on ....

Stuff

at least he achieved some bad guy roles as an actor (a 007 movie, 'snatch') of his 'superstardom', where he could flex his shiny teeth

Message 10/20                 Date: 09-Mar-04  @  08:21 AM   -   RE: what did goldie actually do on ....

dub-munkey

its just that back in the 80's goldie was trying to become a graffiti artist...next thing he's a cutting edge drum n bass producer......i don't doubt he did do some stuff but get the feeling that the album is essentially playfords...

yeah all that metalheadz/moving shadow stuff rools!

greg

Message 11/20                 Date: 09-Mar-04  @  12:56 PM   -   RE: what did goldie actually do on ....

i hate you but love bums

Goldie was the face. His face looked good on magazine front covers which sold album units. Goldie did all the interviews and also was responsible for setting the vibe in the studio. This involved playing Rob Playford some dub plates that Kemistry and Strom gave him the night before. But yes Rob Playford did everything!!! Including running the Moving Shadow label... Remember the roller!

Message 12/20                 Date: 09-Mar-04  @  12:59 PM   -   RE: what did goldie actually do on ....

dub-munkey

hmmmm...what a farce...the best producers have no face...

greg

Message 13/20                 Date: 11-Mar-04  @  03:53 PM   -   RE: what did goldie actually do on ....

toast

link^

I have to give goldie a lot of credit for back when metalheadz was running things. They were killing the other labels for a while. Either cats were stepping up their game for their metalheadz twelves or goldie was just licensing their illest tunes. One way or other...

Message 14/20                 Date: 11-Mar-04  @  04:00 PM   -   RE: what did goldie actually do on ....

greg.spicer

nice one toast..perhaps he does have some artistic license after all..

greg

Message 15/20                 Date: 11-Mar-04  @  04:50 PM   -   RE: what did goldie actually do on ....

milan

nice one, cheers!

Message 16/20                 Date: 12-Mar-04  @  12:06 AM   -   RE: what did goldie actually do on ....

influx

that was a good read!

Message 17/20                 Date: 12-Mar-04  @  08:39 AM   -   RE: what did goldie actually do on ....

dARKSTATe

LoL, Playford did *nearly* everything. My friends' brother Tim "The Bass" Philbert did most of the live bass playing on Timeless and co-wrote some of the music for Saturnz Return.. Tim then went on to start up his own production thang himself I believe (fair play!)

Message 18/20                 Date: 12-Mar-04  @  09:11 AM   -   RE: what did goldie actually do on ....

greg.spicer

and very nice bass it is too....

greg

Message 19/20                 Date: 12-Mar-04  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: what did goldie actually do on ....

i hate you but love bums

So I was right then! As usual. Goldie smoked some weed and then "described" his stoned feelings to Rob Playford who did everything including giving Goldie a lift home after the sessions!

Message 20/20                 Date: 12-Mar-04  @  05:16 PM   -   RE: what did goldie actually do on ....

fire§tarter

eh yeah you were right, but you told us nothing we didn't already know.

Viewing all 20 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 20 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum