0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: no mas virtual orchestras aqui

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 18-Feb-04  @  03:17 AM   -   no mas virtual orchestras aqui

mcc>

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

web-link

i remember the old days when human-virtual guitar players hunter & wagner
stood off-stage playing the parts for alice cooper's band
when it was deemed their abilities and excesses were an obstacle to a great
live rock performance.

i kinda think les miserables would be more impressive without a computer
playing the orchestration.
no...let's not kill ALL the live musicians.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 11/24                 Date: 19-Feb-04  @  02:19 AM   -   RE: no mas virtual orchestras aqui

mcc>

Link?:  No link

experienced alex patterson of the orb spinning a set here in sd.
man he had a very wild and varied set. all styles and time zones and frequencies covered....and every one hugely danceable.
he'd mix way out west with future sound of london and then a million things i'd never heard...crazy cool drums etc.

orbital too....were cool...... but i do honestly think they were actually playing some of their simpler parts during this tour. i detected a slight off-phrase here and there.....
which was okay with me....
and then again it could've been wishful thinking on my part.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 12/24                 Date: 19-Feb-04  @  05:32 AM   -   RE: no mas virtual orchestras aqui

Influx

Link?: Link

no, they play some of their stuff definitely. but its mostly the MMT8s, and a mixer...muting and unmuting.

cool guys tho

Message 13/24                 Date: 19-Feb-04  @  06:24 AM   -   RE: no mas virtual orchestras aqui

Optofonik - AKA, mick, rhyze, etc.

Philip Glass! One of the best shows I've ever seen. I saw him in Florida a couple of years after Glassworks was released. The Philip Glass Ensemble are some of the most intense performer I've ever seen. To watch them (he included)perform those pieces, all live with no sequencing or background recording, was truly something that I'll never forget. When you talk about Glass, Reich, Xenekis, and their ilk you're talking about an entirely different class of composer/musician. VNV nation and their ilk will never be in the same league.

Message 14/24                 Date: 19-Feb-04  @  04:27 PM   -   RE: no mas virtual orchestras aqui

xoxos

san diego - you remember crash worship?

singing.. lol! why? "we are slaves, you don't care, because the assman has reduced your pokings to only twice a weeeekk.. thanks a fucking buuuunch"

dudes will be like throwing their drinks at me.

Message 15/24                 Date: 19-Feb-04  @  10:00 PM   -   RE: no mas virtual orchestras aqui

mcc>

well....as long as you're fast enough to not let it all go to the floor
or all over the inside of the machines....that's okay.

we always bring towels and a change of clothes anyways....right.

as for crash worship...it rings a serious bell......but i can't remember which bell.
that wasn't the guy/girl dark-electro duo was it?

ahhh....my database fails me.

Message 16/24                 Date: 19-Feb-04  @  10:10 PM   -   RE: no mas virtual orchestras aqui

mcc>

and perhaps i judged too quickly but i remember peeping some vnvn and similar stuff while a part of the is electro-pop list and.....no.....nothing close to
the aforementioned glass or reich or riley.

most of it's pure banality in my opinion but then again maybe i just never made it to the good songs.
crunching mediocre progressions and melodies over hard-driving but nevertheless mediocre rhythms while making sure your boot-tops hit your knees and your hair
didn't funk-up up your mascara......well....
for me that always results in the big HUH!?

i did like messiah for a short while there, though.

and i'm always open to being educated/persuaded..... but by someone who doesn't look like they stepped out of a comic book.
i'm not sure why but that always makes me snicker too hard to pay attention anymore.

Message 17/24                 Date: 20-Feb-04  @  02:32 AM     Edit: 20-Feb-04  |  03:19 AM   -   RE: no mas virtual orchestras aqui

I don't have a problem with flash & glam (in all its various incarnations) but it better be backed up with something. VNV fans seem to think they're the "new" Front 242 or something but F242 had five people participating in the show when I met them. One dude prancing about with a mic and another posing behind a single synth in front of some lame projected images while a backing tracks play for an hour is bullshit. Don't get me wrong, I'm willing to give some new local electronic act a break and a pat on the back for trying but after a few years and on an "international tour" charging $20.00 buck a head they better pony up with the fecking goods or get a real job.

Also, don't think a abhor VNV Nation because I like a few of their recordings for what they are - its the same way I like my old Technomancer compilations if I'm driving long distance and I don't want to be distracted from the task at hand. However, if I go see a live act they better be fecking live or have some kind of dog and pony performance art that makes my jaw drop. If not, I'll slag 'em no end. Damn, Skinny Puppy put on a great show when I saw them on the Too Dark Park tour - a 15 foot bio-mechanical behemoth from which Ogre emerges and is subsequently accosted by and video screens brimming with disturbed visions made up for any sequencing.

Message 18/24                 Date: 20-Feb-04  @  03:45 PM   -   RE: no mas virtual orchestras aqui

xoxos

crash worship were from zendik farm.. a sd commune that moved to texas ~91. lots of drums, people wearing clay, fire, orgy stuff. very "audience participation.." think i did a long post describing them about the time you showed up here, so that might be it.

Message 19/24                 Date: 20-Feb-04  @  10:01 PM   -   RE: no mas virtual orchestras aqui

Zendik Farm! They're in Asheville, NC now. I got one of their mags from a hippy chick I was chatting with in downtown Asheville awhile back. Talking to her, then reading the mag; I'm torn between thinking they're nutters and being intrigued by their community. Frankly, it sounds too good to be true but if it is true then they really have a pretty good thing going. How bad can it being living on a communal farm with a bunch of neo-hippies outside Asheville, NC? They invite anyone who wants to crash and participate in their community for a period of time to do so. If you want to become a permanant member there is a some hippie screening process you have to go through. I guess they assess your patchouli rating or something. All kidding aside, there is a secret part of me that wants this place to be for real just to know that a place like it actually exists.

Its worth a look, you decide...

http://www.zendik.org/

Message 20/24                 Date: 21-Feb-04  @  03:29 AM   -   RE: no mas virtual orchestras aqui

mcc>

yeah.....i kinda remember that post.

it seems a few wild things started here in san diego.

like iron butterfly.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum