0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: I'll burn in hell for this...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14

Original Message                 Date: 08-Aug-03  @  08:03 PM     Edit: 08-Aug-03  |  10:59 PM   -   ,

Mick

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Or get lynched.

TOP 10 REASONS FOR BEING CANADIAN :

1. It beats being an American.

2. Only country to successfully invade the US and burn its capital to the ground.

3. You can play ice hockey 12 months a year, outdoors.

4. Only country to successfully invade the US and burn its capital to the ground.

5. Where else can you travel 1000 miles over fresh water in a canoe?

6. A political leader can admit to smoking pot and his/her popularity ratings will rise.

7. Only country to successfully invade the US and burn its capital to the ground.

8. Kill Grizzly bears with huge f**koff shotguns and cover your house in their skins

9. Own-an-Eskimo scheme.

10. Only country to successfully invade the US and burn its capital to the ground

TOP 10 REASONS FOR BEING AMERICAN :

1. You can have a woman president without electing her

2. You can spell colour wrong and get away with it

3. You can call Budweiser beer

4. You can be a crook and still be president

5. If you've got enough money you can get elected to do anything

6. If you can breathe you can get a gun

7. You get to be really obese

8. You can play golf in the most hideous clothes ever made and nobody seems to care.

9. You get to call everyone you've never met "buddy"

10. You can think you're the greatest nation on earth.

10a. When you're not.

10b. At all.

[ back to forum ]                           [quote]

Message 61/131                 Date: 19-Aug-03  @  02:45 AM   -   RE: I'll burn in hell for this...

meriphew

Link?: Link

Influx, I can handle negative opinions about the U.S., though sometimes I feel a person crosses the line with generic stereotyping of the U.S. and it's citizens. Am I proud to be an American citizen? F!ck yeah I am, but I also think that someone from Germany should be proud to be German, a French citizen should be proud to be French, and so on and so forth.

Beds, I can't tell if you're trying to be abrasive in a joking manner, or if you're really that mentally shallow to believe what you're saying. I hope it's the former.

Jock, have you ever listened to Neko Case? There goes your whole theory about all country music sucking (though about 99% of it does).

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 62/131                 Date: 19-Aug-03  @  03:11 AM   -   RE: I'll burn in hell for this...

influx

meriphew

WHY "proud?"

what exactly did you have to do to become an american citizen? I mean...you were born here, right?

GLAD, I can see because even as we speak this is still a good place to live (dubya and the business/war mongers are doin the best to ruin it tho) but PROUD? sorry. no.

and dude...I hate to say it, but the _majority_ of us ARE fat, stupid, narrow-minded, self-centered and ineffectual. Theres no way to argue against that. Its not much different elsewhere (I mean from where I can see it sure seems like Brits are a pompous set of fckers themselves!)

but, its been a long time since anyone else was seen on TV, chanting for a so-called war as if it were a football game

and people _support_ this shit! Dont get me wrong, I dig this place (well, Id kinda like to see SoCal BURN (right after I and everyone I care about leaves)) and plan on staying, and I even find myself saying "dont like it? leave!" sometimes, but...

your "defense" seems just as hair-triggered as Mick's offense. A knee-jerk "YAY! AMERICA!" that has been proven to cause MAJOR problems the world over. think about it

Message 63/131                 Date: 19-Aug-03  @  03:29 AM   -   RE: I'll burn in hell for this...

Mick

"including mick's intentionally shallow attempt at humor"

I'm not sure how I should take that.

Message 64/131                 Date: 19-Aug-03  @  04:29 AM   -   RE: I'll burn in hell for this...

d

Link?:  No link

I'm damn proud that you spell humor humor and not humour :P

Message 65/131                 Date: 19-Aug-03  @  04:32 AM   -   RE: I'll burn in hell for this...

influx

well, were you serious? I mean..it wasnt exactly "deep"

the "shit" you talked...the "jokes" were for the most part the standard cliche attacks, no?

I meant nothing strongly about it, but knew you might catch that. Im not logged in so I couldnt edit it

and the 10, 10a, and 10b...I hate to say it, but as far as "everything combined" goes, Id still have to say the US _is_ the greatest.

where else, mick, could you do what you do right now, and make the kind of money you make?

where could _I_ do what I do? I mean...acknowledge!

I always feel the need to reiterate my fury at the way this place is run, but that fury runs right along side a full realization that things are _very_ bad everywhere else, and Id rather address and deal with here than anywhere else.

dunno...the top tens you posted, hell they werent even "attacks" and personally I think Meriphew flew off the handle (like I said, sadly typical hair trigger nationalism, the end result of which is often violence) but at the same time it seems all too common for people to forget just how fortunate they are.

really what it comes down to is that if the bad truly outweighs the good, you have two options, right?

fight, or leave. simple!

I say lets fight, but...starting where?

Message 66/131                 Date: 19-Aug-03  @  04:42 AM   -   RE: I'll burn in hell for this...

meriphew

Influx - I pay taxes, I vote, I donate to charities, I try to help out people who are down on their luck. I definitely have my shortcomings, but all in all I am an asset to my country. Is one only allowed to feel pride for the U.S. if they were around back in 1776 when we earned our independence? If you don't feel pride for your country, then so be it, but don't question me on the right that I have to feel the way I do.

Message 67/131                 Date: 19-Aug-03  @  05:48 AM   -   RE: I'll burn in hell for this...

influx

and then you bring up "rights?"

you didnt read a thing I said.

PRIDE is f-ing STUPID. again. you were only born here. you didnt DO anything to become an american!

NOTHING!

fact

Message 68/131                 Date: 19-Aug-03  @  06:10 AM   -   RE: I'll burn in hell for this...

Influx

I had to come back to say more

meriphew, think about it before you pull another knee-jerk reaction and start talking shit to me as you did to mick

pride is an iffy thing, in a way, but...if you mean being proud the same way I do..."GLAD"...or "happy that it is this way" then sure!

but pride, as if it were some sort of accomplishment? sorry. nope

you seem to think I was questioning your american-ness, or your right to lay claim? errr..nope. Im glad to hear you help people out, etc, but...the taxes thing..is that a GOOD thing?

the majority of taxes go to things one really ought not agree with, and a true PRIDE in ones country would require that one NOT pay those taxes until changes were made!

Message 69/131                 Date: 19-Aug-03  @  07:20 AM   -   RE: I'll burn in hell for this...

meriphew

Pride has a few different meanings. Perhaps your meaning of pride differs from mine. I am part of the whole machinery that is America (as is every other citizen who contributes something positive to our society). Things that I do, and things that a million other Americans do make this America. Sure there are bad things about the U.S. - I am not proclaiming it to be perfect. I do hold pride in what the U.S. stands for in the global community, and what we bring to the table - again I know we are not perfect, no country is.

As for taxes, they are a necessary evil, though I like everyone else, would like to see them more wisely spent. Problem is, everybody has their own opinion of what wisest is (but that's a whole other huge thread).

As far as my reaction to Mick goes, it was not knee jerk. I said what was on my mind and would say it again. Sometimes I am a little harsh with my words, but emotion is a human thing and it's not always kind - nor should it be.

Message 70/131                 Date: 19-Aug-03  @  07:24 AM     Edit: 19-Aug-03  |  05:40 PM   -   RE: I'll burn in hell for this...

pict

Link?:  No link

Pride comes before a fall as the old saying goes.I don't think the average American realises the deep seated loathing and detestation there is for them due to the actions of their government,not just in the middle east but throughout Europe too.The blatant manipulation of the media,the emphasis on profit before all else,the rampant,poisonous,dangerous nationalism that is being induced in the population by the Bush administration,the total disregard for international opinion doesn't inspire warm affectionate feelings towards the entity of the US.Bushism is like Thatcherism except magnified a million times and far,far more dangerous because they literally have a free hand to do whatever they please with impunity reasons to be proud indeed.SPQA if you ask me Pax Americanus.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14

There are 131 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum